On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Dan Nelson wrote:

In the last episode (Sep 20), Marek Salwerowicz said:
W dniu 2012-09-20 08:02, Bernhard Fröhlich pisze:
Hi virtualbox users!

I am very glad to be able to send out a VirtualBox 4.2.0 call for
testers.  We've done a good job pushing many patches upstream before the
release this time so our port is much smaller and easier to handle.

thanks for the release - I will do some tests and let you know about the
results.

By the way - can you tell me if there are any plans for releasing the
Extension Pack for FreeBSD?  I'd really like to have the Intel E1000 PXE
support in virtual machine.

If you're adventurous, you could try embedding the iPXE bootcode into the
emulated E1000's BIOS instead:

http://www.ipxe.org/
http://etherboot.org/wiki/romburning/vbox

Interesting! There is even an image of the ROM downloadable if you enter vendor 8086 and device 100E. http://rom-o-matic.net/gpxe/gpxe-1.0.1/contrib/rom-o-matic/

% VBoxManage setextradata global
VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/LanBootRom gpxe-1.0.1-8086100e.rom

Set bridged mode, choose the Intel Pro/1000 MT adapter, boot from Lan... but it still only shows "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted."