On 11.07.2012 22:51, Jan Beich wrote:
"Mikhail T." <mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com> writes:

Hello!

Attached is a fairly small patch, that changes the two ports to use
ports of all of the components currently supported by bsd.gecko.mk.
I'm afraid this is already fixed in the experimental branch
for *all* gecko ports.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Gecko
This is awesome -- what's to be "afraid" of? But when is this hitting the ports-tree?

Please, consider committing soon so the work on bringing-in other
components (such as hunspell, sqlite3, or xulrunner) can begin. Thank
                                             ^^^^^^^^^
There are currently 4 copies of libxul (in CVS):

   - mail/thunderbird, www/firefox (gecko-13)
   - mail/thunderbird-esr, www/firefox-esr (gecko-10)
   - www/kompozer (gecko-1.8)
   - www/libxul (gecko-1.9)
There is xulrunner-13.0.2 available from Mozilla, BTW...
Assuming the last two are gonna be deprecated installing two versions of
xulrunner currently causes a conflict with the following files:

   bin/xulrunner
   libdata/pkgconfig/libxul-embedding.pc
   libdata/pkgconfig/libxul.pc
   libdata/pkgconfig/mozilla-js.pc
   libdata/pkgconfig/mozilla-plugin.pc

Forcing xulrunner to install the files under different names is trivial,
fixing dependent ports is less so. It'd also benefit libxul19 -> libxul
migration. And running on different engine version is not guaranteed to
work, e.g.

   # application.ini for firefox-esr
   [Gecko]
   MinVersion=10.0.2
   MaxVersion=10.0.2

The rest is simplifying gecko-app ports (firefox/thunderbird/seamonkey)
by throwing away most patches, shrinking Makefile size and fixing issues like

   $ firefox
   Could not read application.ini
   Exit 1

which can be worked around with

   $ /usr/local/lib/libxul/xulrunner-stub -app
/usr/local/lib/firefox/application.ini
Yes! Terrific! When is this happening?.. I, for one, am rather tired of seeing mozilla-ports recompiling the same files -- and installing the same libraries -- over and over... And, worse, some pieces are installed /twice by each port/... Right now on my system, for example:

   /opt/lib/libxul/libxul.so
   /opt/lib/libxul/sdk/lib/libxul.so
   /opt/lib/firefox/libxul.so
   /opt/lib/firefox/sdk/lib/libxul.so