On 17.06.19 00:19, Jan Beich wrote:

Good luck. Make sure to test in a clean environment e.g., via poudriere
Jan, this is the job of the port's maintainer... The current situation
-- requiring a rebuild of LLVM twice -- is ridiculous, should never
have come about, and should not remain for long. I hope, we agree on
the first and the second, at least...
If you don't pay, don't help and don't do the homework why should I care?

Because my statement is true -- or not -- regardless of who makes it. Whether you hear it from a stranger, a fellow FreeBSD ports-maintainer, or the project's Founding Fathers, the need to rebuild a major software package twice to build a port is ridiculous. On its own...

Some years ago, in a moment of madness, we've created gcc-ooo port <https://www.freshports.org/lang/gcc-ooo> -- building an entire compiler suit purely for the sake of compiling OpenOffice.org. I'd argue, we're now suffering from the same malady again...

I can't see, what good llvm-objdump could do to the vast majority of users.
See https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/53d93ee3ad84
While the commit was backed out the configure check wasn't, so maybe
the intent is to reland in future.
So, it is not even being used?! And, if it were, it would only be for
some build-time library-reading, which the port could disable...
dependentlibs.py doesn't appear to use on ELF platforms but mozbuild does.
That "library-reading" is responsible for loading bundled shlibs e.g.,

$ firefox example.com
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
Shared object "liblgpllibs.so" not found, required by "libxul.so"
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Please, file a bug upstream.
I might -- and/or we reintroduce the wrapper script to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before spawning the real firefox... But llvm-objdump is part of the base by default on 12.0-stable... And here is the buildlog of firefox using /usr/bin/c++ <http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/tmp/firefox-c++.log>.
Indeed, https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/310840 but Firefox needs llvm-objdump >= 7.0 which would exclude FreeBSD 12.0.
On my 11.2-stable system, I still build firefox with llvm60...
$ /poudriere/jails/120amd64/usr/bin/llvm-objdump --private-headers \
   /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so | fgrep NEEDED
$ /poudriere/jails/head-amd64/usr/bin/llvm-objdump --private-headers \
   /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so | fgrep NEEDED
   NEEDED               liblgpllibs.so
   NEEDED               libmozgtk.so
   NEEDED               libmozwayland.so
[...]

Are you saying, llvm-objdump is a /run-time/ dependency? How did we get here from the earlier "llvm-objdump is only needed by firefox' configure"?

Yours,

   -mi