Spun off from <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2019-November/074873.html>

I received the same hint, privately, from Pocket Support in response to <https://twitter.com/pocketsupport/status/1199323725465837570> – "… a way to manually force them to show on locales that are not supported by default. …".

>> Is the code removed? Or has Mozilla become stricter about enforcing
>> regional restrictions?
>
> No clue. Wrong list. gecko@ doesn't touch Pocket code/prefs.

Cool. Good to know that there's no interference.

(Removal of functionality, such as Pocket, is my only complaint about development of Waterfox Current.)

>> (I'm in the UK.)
>
> VPN or did you define the following?
>
>   pref("browser.search.region", "US");
>   pref("browser.search.countryCode", "US");

No VPN.

browser.search.region was the magic ingredient. Thanks!

Previously set to GB. Changing to US then quitting Firefox was enough to enable recommendations – including sponsored content – for the next run of Firefox.

browser.search.countryCode did not exist, I can get recommendations without it.

I'll make Pocket Support aware of the gap in their advice.

With the appearance of sponsored content: I can add a closing note under <https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/pocket-forcing-appearance-of-sponsored-content/28324/11?u=grahamperrin>

The more interesting private part(s) of the response from Pocket, I'll keep private …