Lee Brown wrote on 2017/04/22 03:26:

[..]

root@apron:~ # glabel label -v TEST da2
Metadata value stored on da2.
Done.

but
root@apron:~ # glabel status da2
root@apron:~ #

Did you tried to disconnect and reconnect after "glabel label". Sometimes label is not visible until retaste of the device (true > /dev/da2)

I zero'd the first and last 1MB and re-tried the label operation, but all
the sectors were still zero.
I tried to use the usbdump utility and I can see *something* is written.

gpart appears to do the right thing.
newfs on the raw device appears to do the right thing.
geli init complains it can't find the metadata.

What about partitioning by gpart GPT with gpt partition label and then use this label for geli instead of whole device?

Miroslav Lachman