I can boot using passphrase *and* keyfile encrypted userkey.  The keyfile is
accessible on /boot/ unencrypted. (realise this is in no way "secure" but
proves keyfile is accessible) i.e:

geli setkey -K /boot/encryption.key /dev/xyz
(prompted for new passphrase)

Able to reboot correctly by entering new passphrase.

The problem is as soon as I update the userkey to be without the passphrase
component, it is still requested during boot and then obviously there is no
correct entry. i.e.

geli setkey -K /boot/encryption.key -P /dev/xyz
(no passphrase prompt due to -P)

Passphrase is still requested during boot and cannot proceed.

I tried "geli configure -B /dev/xyz" as suggested by Alaksiej, there is no
prompt for passphrase but booting breaks at mountroot (I guess because the
"boot" flag has been removed?).

Is this a bug in that geom_eli does not try to decrypt using just keyfile
before prompting user for passphrase?

Regards,

Michael.