On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 10:09:22PM -0400, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> I seem to recall seeing this someone (this may not be the
> right list.)
>
> But - I downloaded the 3.2  Seti@home and starting running it
> on a left-over 75mhz laptop I have.
>
> It seems to crash the laptop (silently lock it up, actually)
> fairly quickly.
>
> Did I recall someone else mentioning that?
>
> Would everyone agree that it's not a "good thing" for a user-mode
> program to be able to lock up the OS?

There are severall resons.
One of them is that I got panics with a to high set MAXUSER in kernel options.
I don't know if it's a problem with 3.2.
The other possible reason might be a CPU overheating. CPUs used under FreeBSD
are typicall suspended during idle-time - when running seti or other permanent
running programms there is no idle time.
I asume there are several more possbilities.
But it sounds like there is something broken with your configuration.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Usergroup                [EMAIL PROTECTED]