On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 09:30:05PM -0400, Jamie Howard wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
>
> > Suppose you have a *write-protected* DOS floppy and you do:
> >
> > # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy  <-- this is OK
> >
> > # cp somefile /floppy  <-- a lot of error messages
> >
> > # umount /floppy   <-- crash
> >
> > Now the system tries to sync the dirty buffers and fails.  You have to
> > press a key to reboot.
> >
> > Is there anything wrong here or FreeBSD simply does not handle this in a
> > more elegant way?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> I had this happen to me the other day on my 3.2 system.  I thought it was
> just me because I had mounted the disk several days before and figured I
> had swapped it out.  I also had to reformat the floppy on a Win95 system
> to make it usable again.
>
> Jamie

I just reproduced this on a system running 4.0-CURRENT from about
Sun Jun 27 01:12:42 PDT

I got a ton of these errors in dmesg and /var/log/messages:
Jun 29 00:17:53 marx /kernel: fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 19 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1
2<write_protect> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 1 sec 2)

And it let me try several umount commands and even a umount -f.  None
of them actualy umounted the floppy drive and it completly reboot my computer
after about 2 or 3 mins.  No panic or anything.  Once second I'm looking at X,
next second I'm looking at my BIOS bootup screen.

--
--Travis