* From: Tim Vanderhoek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 * I can claim a bit of the responsibility.  It was done after Sue Blake
 * complained that there was no way to distinguish packages requiring X
 * from those that didn't.  I wrote some extended message discussing
 * different types of dependencies, and then Satoshi wrote the change.
 *
 * However, my archives show I pointed-out the problem (with possible
 * solutions) from the start.  Perhaps I would have been more urgent if
 * I'd forseen the future, but it's one of those things you look at and
 * figure "ah, it's so Freaking obvious that someone will fix it".
 *
 * The change was made long before the release and there was plenty of
 * time to fix any breakage.  It was just never fixed.

Ok, but also note that there aren't any dependencies left in packages
anymore.  I intend to ressurect those when the XFree86 port is broken
up into more manageable chunks, but until then, the packages will ship
with no XFree86 dependencies.

Satoshi