> > > I strongly disagree. Spitting "unresolved references" is *not* a way to
> > > tell the user that he doesn't have the right libraries.
> >
> > I strongly disagree. This is much better than version bump. After all,
> > we can add suggestion to upgrade libraries to the "unresolved references"
> > message.

For what it's worth, I agree with Marcel.  Version bumps should be
discouraged, but not totally avoided.  Carrying around old libraries
with older version numbers is *hardly* a burden for the users, and those
folks who are running old versions of FreeBSD will not be effected at
all since they will continue to keep the old libraries around.

I say a version bump is the better solution, since the linker will 'Do
The Right Thing'.  Yes, we shouldn't version bump every time someone has
a whim, ending up with 10 version bumps/week, but neither should we
avoid them altogether and cause the Linux syndrome of programs refusing
to work because they have the *wrong* version of glibc2.3 (or
whatever)....

Nate