On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:17:26 -0400 (EDT), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I've always had the impression that the sysctls available on a system are
>dependent on the kernel configuration, but have never been able to verify
>this.

This is true.  They also depend on the KLDs (a KLD can add new sysctl
variables and/or trees).

>  What are some kernel options that carry
>along their own sysctl trees, if this is the case?

This is not as easy to answer, and the following relates to -current.
Merging the set of files that define sysctl valiables (via the
SYSCTL_...() macros) with the generic and architecture-dependent
configuration files produces a list of the following options (some of
which are architecture-dependent): apm, bktr, bridge, card, ccd, cd,
compat_linux, cs, dgb, dgm, dummynet, ether, ext2fs, ffs, fla, inet,
ipfilter, ipfirewall, ipx, loran, ncr, nfs, nsio, nullfs, pci,
profiling-routine, si, sio, smp, tun, umapfs, userconfig, vlan and wl.
(I have a list of the 58 actual files if you're interested).

In addition, the following modules define sysctl variables: bktr,
if_tun, ipfw, linux, nfs, null and umap.  (Based on objdump reporting
a .set.sysctl_??? section_).

Peter