Hi,

>>    If I type in ifconfig mx0 media 100basetx
>>    it all works OK.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas on these.
>
>Autonegotiation is failing.  That happens in the Fast Ethernet world.
>Buying better quality switches *may* help.  ;^)

Can you get any better than 3COM's top of the range stacks?

Seriously though, in -stable there are 2 bugs with the linksys (mx driver)
cards.

1) In if_mx, (and a few other drivers too for that mater) the driver probes
the
link and then selects the most suitable speed and mode (half or full duplex)
The code picks 100BaseT4 as its first chose, then 100 Meg Full Duplex
second, then 100 Meg Half duplex, then 10 Full Duplex, then 10 Half duplex.

The Ethernet specs I have read say the official order should be
100 Meg Full Duplex FIRST, then 100base T4, then 100 Meg Half duplex,
then 10 Full D then 10 Half D.

2) Even if my line was 100BaseT4, the if_mx driver should not be passing
an invalid paremter to if_media, causeing if_media to panic with
something along the lines of "invalid media type 0x28/0xffffff"

if_mx should not select 100BaseT4 if the rest of the kernel cannot handle
it.
_OR_ it should be passing the right parameter to if_media.

Then there are issues in -current, but lets fix -stable first.

This is all a bit different to the Bt848 driver, so I could do with some
help
kernel hacking.

Cheers
Roger