> On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 03:53:20PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > How many fd's do you plan to have open?
>
> This would be 2^17 to 2^19. Would that be advisable ? I have never
> seen anything like that.

That would be difficult.

> > How severe is the performance
> > penalty (have you actually measured it yet, or are you just going on
> > word of mouth)?
>
> The latter. Measuring would be difficult due to lack of tools, and IŽd
> rather not make life tests in production machines.

This is a failure of your approach, I think.  You are trying to make a
decision without adequate information, which is never a good idea.
Craft the tools and make an informed choice.

TBH, it sounds like you need to look at a different reader architecture.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]