On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Hmm.  I've had something similar recently, also running -CURRENT.  I
> still need to clean out the lost+found directory, but many of the
> files hadn't been touched for months.  I think that the problem was

I had a crash like this on 3.1 -STABLE box.  I loaded a buggy kernel module,
the box paniced, and a lot of /usr ended up in lost+found.  This was an ancient
Pentium box, no power management.  It was a bunch of consecutive inodes.  It
looked like it was filesystem buffers had been randomly hosed, and panic's
sync wrote them out.  Most of the files touched weren't in use, but a couple
I was editing at the time.

David Scheidt