> >grep exit *.o
> >
> >in /usr/lib doesn't find me that label.
> >
> >What am I missing?
>
> Try this instead:
>
>       nm /usr/lib/libc.a | grep exit

I'm aware of that! That is libc which I'm trying to avoid here!
(see man gcc, search for -nostdlib)

I was referering to excuting gcc with -nostdlib with a simple c file and
startup code(search for a csu directory in /usr/src)

So gcc should support NOT linking to libc. So either
-  the (ELF) initcode  (crt1.x) is not implemented well
-  the gcc (at least the FreeBSD version if it is modified) is buggy, and doesn't
        select e.g. a correct crt1.o without the call to exit/atexit, or with other
        patched code. (which is unlikely since I can't find any other files).

which was the point. I was trying to make.