On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, MikeM wrote:

> Has anyone thought of Unicode support on FreeBSD?

Depends on what you mean by 'Unicode support'.

If you use a suitable encoding (UTF-8?) everything should work, only it
might look strange, as userland doesn't support it. It is largely a
'application space' problem as I understand it - you need to modify each
and every utility to know that file names should be treated as strings of
wide characters. Toolkits providing a 'select file' std dialog need to be
dealt with.

> I think that it is inevitable that eventually FreeBSD
> will *need* to support unicode if it wants to continue
> as a viable operating system in the future. This means
> that it  probably will need to be modified from the
> ground up. I am not well versed in the specifics of
> what's needed, but if someone could explain it to me
> I'd be gratefull.

See above for a subset.