I friend of mine just got Pac$Bell Internet (see the story in
-questions), and he uses PPPoE over
DSL to connect to the net. /usr/sbin/ppp works just fine, but being the
sort I am, I am dissatisfied
with the solution, since there's still so much context switching
involved (given that the equivalent
to ng_ppp is still in userland).

The much better solution, IMHO, is to add PPPoE support to
ports/net/mpd-netgraph, and I have
embarked on a course to do so. It's slow going, as it's my first real
grope into netgraph in a big
way (playing with ngctl and ksockets doesn't count).

I am plenty happy to talk with anyone about this and it would be
particularly helpful if someone
who uses PPPoE could test the result, when it's ready (my friend is not
inclined to be a tester for
this sort of thing. The current solution is good enough for him).

The eventual goal, of course, is to have a pair of machines run PPP over
a cross-connect 10baseT cable.
At the moment, however, call "origination" is favored.