In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Wes Peters writes:
: Whatever happened to the idea of putting the shared libs for /bin and
: /sbin in /lib?

People are afraid that it would mean more disk space used on /, not
less.  They worry that shared libraries are not robust enough to cope
and your system will be completely useless if one file (/lib/libc.so)
goes away.  They also worry about duplicated disk usage between
/usr/lib/libc.so and /lib/libc.so and possible version skew.

I personally don't like the idea as default.  However, in an embedded
enviornment where the flash is read only, with spares on the shelf in
case of failure (any failure) it may be an acceptible way to go.  It
won't save much space (my estimates are in the neighborhood of 3MB),
but on a 16M flash, 3M can mean the difference between fitting and not
fitting.

Before this spirals out of hand, no, I'm not even suggesting that we
do this by default.  I was just asking if it could be done.  So far no
one has said no.

Warner