In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Assar Westerlund writes:
: Warner Losh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > Hmmm.  I've always found that the kernel only files need to be
: > compiled with a kernel installed.  This included loadable modules.
:
: What about third-party loadable modules?

Yes.  They must be compiled against the kernel, just like modules
provided by freebsd.

: > Bruce and I have been working out a patch to make it possible to
: > compile loadable modules outside the tree.
:
: To bsd.kmod.mk et al?  That's most useful, IMHO.

Yes.  That's right.  One of the things that drove me nuts when I
started at my current job at Timing Solutions was the inability to
build the modules outside of a freebsd tree w/o abadoning bsd.kmod.mk.
I've fixed that, with Bruce's help, and I'll be committing the changes
back to FreeBSD shortly.  I like working for a Open Source friendly
company. :-)

Warner