G. Adam Stanislav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Of course, it still remains to be seen if having Unicode support on the
> >console is a Good Thing(TM).
>
> I don't see how it would be even possible, due to hardware limitations.
> The console can only support an 8-bit font (I mean 8-bit encoding).

Actually, if you can spare an attribute bit you can handle 512
characters in text mode on a plain VGA card. pcvt(4) uses this to
keep all of CP437, ISO Latin 1, various DEC character sets, and a
range of definable characters available.

> I see the main way of supporting Unicode in providing libraries that
> programs can use to convert between Unicode and local display.

... and to handle UTF-8. Yes.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]