:Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:
:>     -pipe makes a significant difference since without it every source
:>     file being compiled creates several files in /tmp.
:
:Hasn't O'Brien recently said that in fact "-pipe" is already the
:default for our cc, so explicitly specifying the option doesn't do
:anything?
:
:--
:Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    I don't recall him saying anything like that.  There was an argument
    over making the -pipe the default a few months ago, but I was under
    the impression that it didn't happen because some people were concerned
    about the memory requirements nixing compiles on machines with small
    amounts of memory (since cpp, cc1, AND as wind up all running
    simultaniously).

    The documentation doesn't indicate that -pipe is turned on by default.

    If I ktrace a cc command it sure looks like it uses /tmp files when
    -pipe is not specified!

    So I would say that -pipe is NOT the default.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>