> At 09:54 AM 5/27/00 +0200, John Hay wrote:
> >> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Dennis writes:
> >> : My 4.0 system doesnt probe ISA devices on my system.
> >> :
> >> : Whats the trick? Is there a config requirement with old-style drivers?
> >>
> >> They probe great for me.  what, specifically, isn't probing?
> >
> >He is probably talking about their own driver. In that case you have to
> >add it to /sys/i386/isa/isa_compat.* or bite the bullet and new-busify
> >it.
>
> Yes....Whose brainstorm was it to use the new convoluted bus nonsense in
> FreeBSD 4.0? Clearly someone who never wrote a driver with a complex
> controller with indexed memory mapped registers.Whats next, assembler drivers?

While you're still rummaging for the Kynar and the wire-wrap tool, the
rest of the universe has moved on.  Sorry about that, but if we're going
to hope to support your hardware, let alone anyone else's, on a machine
that was built after paisely manual covers went out of vogue, we need a
bus architecture to match.

I spend a goodly amount of time supporting vendors writing drivers for
FreeBSD, and so far you're about the only curmudgeon that hasn't realised
under their own power the advantages of a structured design.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]