On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 07:21:57PM +1200, Dave Preece wrote:

 > So... thinking about what this means for firewalls and natd. If we block all
 > incoming ICMP's across the firewall, it is quite possible that a server
 > behind the firewall could completely fail to send packets to a client on a
 > smaller MTU (modem user with MTU set to 576, for instance).

Yes, that's correct -- The idea that ICMP is a separate and optional
part of TCP/IP is fundamentally wrong.  Blocking it unconditionally
is a recipe for all kinds of hard-to-debug lossage around your firewall.
Just Say No.

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (H)