In the last episode (Jun 08), John Polstra said:
> > But isn't there some SVR4 ABI standard that says "you must implement
> > these syscalls and these ioctls this way", etc?  I'm sure the ABI
> > explicitly says what lseek() takes for arguments, for example.
>
> The SVR4 ABI specification doesn't say anything about system calls --
> it just specifies what libc has to provide.  (Actually in my old
> printed copy of the spec, they call the system interface library
> "libsys".) The library has to provide a certain kind of lseek(), for
> example, but the ABI standard says nothing about how that is
> implemented lower down.

Hmm.  So does this mean that SVR4-compliant programs must be
dynamically-linked?  Is there any recommendations on how an OS should
supply an SVR4 libc to an SVR4 application when the OS itself may not
be SVR4-compliant?  And this doesn't address any libraries other than
libc, I suppose?

Sounds like trying to emulate "SVR4" in itself isn't sufficient.  We
can still call the kld svr4.ko, but it's really doing SCO/SolarisX86
syscall emulation.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]