> > Has anyone here tried setting net.inet.ip.fastforwarding on in a high
> > traffic enviroment?
> >
> > This setting DRASTICALLY speeds up transfers between boxes talking through
> > a freebsd gateway when you are using 2 100mbit interfaces, but it seems to
> > kernel panic the system after a few minutes.
>
> can you quantify the "drastically" ?
>
>       luigi

This also depends on what 100mbit cards you are using ... we had problems
with the Intel ether express cards when using X-over cables (yes :) Intel
specs that these cards should NOT be used with X-overs) ... this caused
the cards to go in some reset stage where no packets are transfered and the
mbufs heap up and eventually could cause a panic.

this happend when configured as abridge and doing 100mbit full-duplex transfers,
we fixed this by using a switch and removing the X-overs.

Also have a look at increasing the mbufs .. I don't know if the mbuf exaustion
panic has been fixed .. anyone ??

Reinier