In the last episode (Jun 13), Johan Kruger said:
> Morning ... has broken ...
>
> Is it possible to tel machine B to remote log to machine A with all
> the logs coming from B specified with a tag. I want the normal
> messsages on B to be remotely logged to A (no problem) but on A all
> B's logs must have a specific tag ?? Can i start the syslogd on B in
> such a way that all the logs are made with a tag ???

The word immediately after the timestamp in any syslog file is the
hostname of the machine sending the alert.  For example, these lines
came from some networked printers at work:

Jun  9 10:34:46 hp8100mp1 printer: paper jam
Jun  9 10:35:12 hp8100mp1 printer: error cleared
Jun 13 08:14:43 hp4000sa printer: paper out
Jun 13 08:14:43 hp4000sa printer: error cleared

so, they are already tagged.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]