Now that the heat wave is over in SF....back to my loadable module project
changes to isp... maybe this is more for the toolchain folks than kernel
hackers...

So, I notice that '#pragma weak' appears to work for me for the compilers and
linkers we currently use for i386 && alpha (at least in user space), so you
can do things like:

---------
extern void *isp_static_fw_vector(void);
#pragma weak isp_static_fw_vector

        if (isp_static_fw_vector) {
                /*
                 * We have statically loaded f/w
                 *
                fw_ptr = isp_static_fw_vector();
        } else {
                /*
                 * Statically loaded f/w not available. See if
                 * there's a module for it somewhere and get the f/w
                 * vector from there...
                 */
                fw_ptr = find_isp_fw_preloaded_module_and_return_fw_vector();
        }
---------

Is there any reason to *not* use this trick in the kernel?

-matt