In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Laurence Berland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So I thought, "we don't define __GNUC__?"

But our compiler _does_ define that macro.

> I figured I'd check.  After much mind wracking, I can't for the life
> of me figure out how to get gcc to output a list of what is and isnt
> defined by default... help!

Another poster already answered your specific question.  The general
way to find out stuff like this is with "info gcc".  (Or use the
equivalent emacs incantation -- CTRL-META-WiggleLeftToe, I believe it
is.)  Follow the links Invoking GCC -> Preprocessor Options and you'll
find out how to get all sorts of useful information from the compiler.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]