In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Joe Greco  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maybe someone here knows.  :-)
>
> I'm looking to compile a program that will ultimately run on a BSDi 2.1
> machine.  Are there any versions of FreeBSD that are capable of doing the
> compile and creating a compatible binary?  (I've got FreeBSD releases
> since 2.0.5 stashed away).

Yes, a.out static executables built under FreeBSD-2.2 will run under
BSD/OS-3.x and -4.x at least.

FreeBSD ELF executables won't work under BSD/OS, however, because
along with the switch to ELF the system call mechanism was changed
from "lcall 7,0" to the faster "int $0x80".  BSD/OS doesn't support
the latter, apparently.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]