In local.freebsd-hackers Doug White wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, petro wrote:

>> I tried to change smth in my interfaces and now receive such message in
>> /var/log/messages
>> /kernel: arp: IP_number is on rl2 but got reply from MAC_ADDRESS an ed1

>Your networks are broken.  It appears the two interfaces are plugged into
>the same physical network.

These messages can also occur if one of the interfaces is connected to
a "hostile network", such as via a cable-tv modem.  How hostile
depends on the relative cluelessness of the cable-tv operator/ISP
(this particular one [Chello in Stockholm] can be considered "pretty
damn clueless").

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--