On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> Compaq Proliant 5500, with the on-board NCR SCSI:
>
> I get:
>
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x0e11, dev=0xa0f0)
> sym0: <875> port blahblah
> sym0: no NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity-checking
>

> And the same for sym1.
>

> What's the magic incantation to make this work?  Or do I need to use an
> adaptect to get installed, then update to -stable or somesuch?

You seemed to say that your hard disks are not discovered in another
email (I didn't see it but saw a reply to it).

Could you describe the machine ?
Does it have a some hot-plug backplane, for example ?
What FreeBSD version ?

About trying to install the system using an Adaptec, why not ?
(Btw, it also happen that using a Symbios device sometimes cures a failing
system that used an Adaptec controller).

  Gérard.