:I have a machine with two scsi disks, one with /, one with /usr, and no
:floppy.
:I have turned on softupdates on /usr while usr was unmounted, but I can't
:turn on softupdates on /, because it is always mounted.
:
:Normally the answer would be to boot on a floppy, but the machine doesn't
:have a floppydrive.
:
:Is there any way to force softupdate on on a mounted system, or do I have to
:either move the / to another machine, or move a floppydrive to this machine?
:
:Leif

    If you boot single-user, root will be mounted read-only and you should
    be able to 'tunefs -n enable /dev/rda0a' and reboot.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>