In article <199907210557.baa43...@cs.rpi.edu>,
David E. Cross <cro...@cs.rpi.edu> wrote:

> The problem indeed was conflicting libraries... (in /usr/X11R6/lib).. however
> I did place on the line *immediately* before the -lwcs a -L/usr/local/lib,
> however it appeared to take the /usr/X11R6/lib (which was in a previous -L
> statement) version instead.  Is this correct?

Yes, it's correct.  The -L options can appear anywhere relative to the
-l options -- even after them -- and it doesn't make any difference.
The relative ordering among the -L options with respect to *each
other* is all ld cares about.  That's been the traditional behavior
on every Unix system I've ever used that supported -L at all.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               j...@polstra.com
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron