----------
Title

  Kernel-Supported Speculative Process Execution for Transparent File
  System Prefetching
  CMU 15-712 Software Systems

Authors
  Ted Pham and Robert Watson

Date
  May 7, 1999

Abstract

  This paper explores the feasibility of an operating system kernel
  performing speculative execution of user processes during system idle
  time to generate file system prefetches.  We discuss the implementation,
  and how the use of existing FreeBSD kernel primitives may be leveraged
  to provide this through minimal modifications to the underlying
  operating system.  We evaluate the effectiveness of the technique, and
  improvements that would allow us to realize the potential performance
  increase.

URL
  http://www.watson.org/~robert/15-712/project/
----------

We're still continuing work on this, and have not had a chance to do a
full evaluation or wring all of the bugs out.  However, I thought people
might be interested in taking a look.  Our source code will be available
in a month or so once we've had a chance to fix a few more things up.

This work is based on a paper by F Chang, "Automatic I/O Hint Generation
through Speculative Execution", which appeared in Proceedings of the 3rd
Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, February 1999.
The basic idea was to generate file system prefetches based on a
speculative thread that executed the code ahead of time, and tried to
guess what reads would occur.  They did this by performing a binary
modification to the base program to create and maintain the thread.  We
wondered if it would not be more efficient and general to implement this
in the OS kernel, and did so based on 4.0-CURRENT of FreeBSD (around May).
What they had and what we did not have was RAID disk arrays to run their
code against: they had far disk bandwidth than we did, although presumably
around the same latency.

The paper is not great, as it was largely written extremely early in the
morning, but I think it gets across the design goals and intent.  Once
we've revamped the code a little and gotten it to work a bit better,
presumably a published paper will turn up somewhere.

  Robert N M Watson

rob...@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Computing Laboratory at Cambridge University
Safeport Network Services