On Mon, Jul 26, 1999, Robert Watson wrote:

> Another cool attack on this mechanism is if the binary uses shared
> libraries: modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that its favorite shared library is
> your own version of the library, that proceeds to dump the entire
> application to disk when executed.
>
> The challenge of adding additional sandbox/restrictions outside of the
> traditional uid boundaries in UNIX is challenging.  The number of ways to
> influence a programs execution is quite sizable...

   Perhaps an option when compiling the linker code to select
whether to avoid or ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH if a shared library
it's looking for is in the default path.  Another problem I've
heard of in another OS is that if a suid root binary is
dynamically linked, you could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and make your
own little libc which would, say, exec /bin/sh on something like
printf.  Options for both of those (or defaults) might be
something to look into.  Or is that second one fixed in FreeBSD?

--