Sheldon Hearn <sheld...@uunet.co.za> writes:
> Another question I should have asked in my original mail is this: are
> there magical reasons why we should want pwd_mkdb to bleat for every
> encountered UID greater that 65535 ?

How many times do I have to go through this?

There is no "artificial limitation in pwd_mkdb". pwd_mkdb warns
against UIDs larger than 65535 because legacy software that uses
unsigned short instead of uid_t will break with large UIDs. There were
even a few such cases in our tree that I fixed less than a year ago
IIRC.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - d...@flood.ping.uio.no