:>     BTW, I wrote this section because a hacker actually installed the bpf
:>     device via the module loader during one of the root compromises at BEST,
:>     a year or two ago.  He had gotten it from a hackers cookbook of exploits
:>     which he convieniently left on-disk long enough for our daily backups to
:>     catch it :-).
:
:This doesn't actually help the attacker much, since at that point in
:time the network drivers wouldn't have been calling the bpf tap points,
:so it might well have been loaded, but it wouldn't have been _doing_
:anything useful.

    Whatever it was, it was recording packets.  This was a year or so ago,
    I don't have the code handy.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>