John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> right now, I'm trying to think of a way to eliminate the fgetln searching
> for end of line... of course this would eliminate some of the simplicity
> of design, but we can get a BIG speed increase if we simply don't scan for
> the new line unless we NEED to...  and if we do, why not use regexec to
> search for us?

As Dillon said, the decrease in speed of the scan might not be that
great. On the other hand, a decent pattern matching algorithm *does
not* examine every character (which is why GNU grep performs so much
better with bigger patterns).

--
Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
d...@newsguy.com

        - Jordan, God, what's the difference?
        - God doesn't belong to the -core.