At 8:01 PM +0200 8/3/99, Robert Nordier wrote:
Garance wrote:
>     - If I select 2.2.8 at the PowerBoot menu, it comes up
>       with one error message about "no /boot/loader", but
>       then it comes right up in the 2.2.8 system.  So this
>       works fine, although it looks odd.

You're using the new boot blocks for 2.2.8, and these always try
to pass control to loader(8).  To get rid of the message, create
a /boot.config file with the line
     /kernel
in it.

Yes, that did get rid of the minor error message.  Thanks.

>     - If I select 3.2 at the PowerBoot menu, it comes up
>       with two messages about "invalid partition", [...]
>       It seems to want to boot 'da(0,a)/kernel', but if I
>       type in 'da(0,e)/kernel', then it boots up fine.

The problem here is a missing `a' partition.  Seems like your
first partition on that slice is `e'.  There's a one-line
patch to boot2 to get this working, but the standard version
only autoboots from the `a' partition.

I did my fdisk-ing for both 2.2.8 and 3.2 systems while doing
the installation of 2.2.8 (I wanted to use the same partition
for swap on both, and that freebsd-partition was going to be
in the same fdisk-slice as the 3.2 install would be).  Might
that be why I don't have an "a" partition in the third slice?
(the slice meant for freebsd-3.2).

    [in case that doesn't make sense, here's the layout I
     ended up with, as seen from the 3.2 system:
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s3e     39647    21280    15196    58%    /
/dev/da0s3g    248047   108480   119724    48%    /Users
/dev/da0s3h    985287   465169   441296    51%    /usr
/dev/da0s3f     59519     1905    52853     3%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
/dev/da0s2a     38991    19802    16070    55%    /228Root
/dev/da0s2f    390942   351090     8577    98%    /228Usr
/dev/da0s2e     59471      950    53764     2%    /228Var
    with /dev/da0s3b being my swap partition when
    booting either system.  swapinfo from 3.2 shows:
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/da0s3b    256000        0   255872     0%    Interleaved
    ]

I'd rather not depend on patching boot2.  Given that I wouldn't
mind (too much) to do some reinstalls, is there some way I can
end up with the first freebsd-partition in the third fdisk-slice
to be named /dev/da0s3a instead of /dev/da0s3e?

For instance, is this where your recommendation of:

It's usually best to temporarily change fdisk partition types,
so that sysinstall sees no existing FreeBSD slice on the drive.
However, there may be other problems involved here as well.

would be help me out?  (how does that first partition on the
third slice end up as "e" anyway?  I didn't explicitly ask
for that...)

> I have a number of questions from doing this:
>     1. why does the install turn my HD unbootable?  (invalid
>        partition table).  I didn't ask it to re-fdisk anything,
>        and I didn't ask for it to change my boot loader.

There are a number of possibilities, but one would have to look
at a copy of the broken MBR to be sure.  (The most usual reason
for an "invalid partition table" message is multiple partitions
flagged as active, or partitions that use the new-style active
flag that is supported from Win95.  This can be sorted out by
booting from floppy or CD-ROM and using fdisk.)

I'll be out of town for a few days here, but maybe I'll try some
re-installs when I get back, and see if I can figure out some of
these things.

Thanks.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   g...@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu