On Thu, Sep 09, 1999, Mike Pritchard wrote:
> I used to work somewhere where we didn't wany any of the users
> to know anything about any other groups of users processes.
> We did this by restricting ps to only show other procs that
> had the same primary group as the person executing ps.
> Root and group wheel (or some equivalent) could always see
> all running procs.  You could always go hunting through the
> file systems, but their own directory permissions were their problem,
> not ours.

   It would be trivial, in FreeBSD.  Simply hack a few lines of
VFS code in procfs to change permissions from

(S_IRUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IROTH | S_IXUSR | S_IXGRP | S_IXOTH)

(S_IRUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IXUSR | S_IXGRP)
           Optional; if you don't want people in the same group
           seeing processes, do not use these permissions.

   I haven't looked into it, but it should be rather trivial, if
such security is important.