On 25/05/2010 13:57, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 22 May 2010, at 13:27, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>
>> On 22/05/2010 13:47, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>>> Today the card arrived and the BIOS complains (HP 6510b):
>>>     104-Unsupported wireless network device detected.
>>>     System halted. Remove device and restart.
>>>
>>> The system boots if I turn off the wireless device in BIOS, but
>>> this means I cannot use it.
>>>
>>> Now, I could just get a BIOS image and exchange the device IDs
>>> there. But I wonder, wouldn't it be easier to just reactivate the
>>> PCIe slot through the OS?
>>
>> This e-mail is written through the ath wireless I got:
>>
>> # ifconfig
>> ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
>>      ether 00:24:2c:1d:f0:2f
>>      media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
>>      status: associated
>> wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>>      ether 00:24:2c:1d:f0:2f
>>      inet 192.168.178.41 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.178.255
>>      media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet OFDM/36Mbps mode 11g
>>      status: associated
>>      ssid "Obi-Wan Kenobi" channel 7 (2442 MHz 11g) bssid 00:15:0c:d5:37:a0
>>      regdomain 101 indoor ecm authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy ON
>>      deftxkey UNDEF AES-CCM 2:128-bit txpower 20 bmiss 7 scanvalid 450
>>      bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi 7 roam:rate 5
>>      protmode CTS wme burst roaming MANUAL
>>
>> I achieved this by passing the BIOS check with the intel wireless and
>> hot-swapping it with the atheros card afterwards. This is impractical
>> and evil, so I'm still searching for a solution.
>>
>> But at least I know that the device works.
>
> HP laptops really dislike the fact that your card isn't part of the Centrino
> brand, so they halt if they find an Atheros. Your best option is to change
> the Atheros card EEPROM to match the device and vendor id of your wpi card.
> Then you also need to change the ath driver to attach to that device id.
>
> It's evil, but it's better than hot-swapping.

Yes, but it still sucks. And I actually have no idea how to flash the
ath device. All the instructions on this I have found use Linux.

I'd prefer to flash the notebook BIOS, but I have no way to defeat
its evil compression.

> The other option is to buy a iwn card which works better in FreeBSD than wpi.

Nay, this is my goodbye to Intel brand wireless. I always thought
wpa_supplicant was to blame for unreliable connections, but it
all just works with the Atheros hardware.