On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Ivan Voras wrote:

1) power outage of the server
2) power outage on the client
3) network problems (ssh or TCP connection drop)
4) administrative command (e.g. root executes "killall $shell")

?

I don't think there is a way to protect from all of those, so any effort in protecting from only part of the problem looks useless.

you forgot cosmic rays, nuclear war and zombie apocalypse, among other failure modes. *NOTHING* is capable of protecting against everything; a good solution will most always have pitfalls; as a sysadmin/engineer/manager one has to either accept the pitfalls or find a more acceptable solution, which usually means different pitfalls. that doesn't mean a given solution is useless.

--
        ...atom

 http://atom.smasher.org/
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808