On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Steve Franks wrote:

I'm interested in doing some graphical serial-port parsing software in
Python (or possibly C which I'm actually more familiar with) - anyone
care to render an opinion on the most direct route to a usable gui?

I figure Python is probably somewhat the preferred language these days
for GUIs given the large number of 'nix desktop apps that have been
showing up in python of late...

Last time I wrote a gui was in VisualC 6.0, so it's been awhile - with
VisualC it took about the same amount of time to write all the
coordinates for a GUI in the code as it did to draw it and hook up the
code; hopefully things have gotten a bit more streamlined - hoping to
spend most of my coding time on string parsing, not gui building...

After using Java for a few years (since JDK 1.3), I
wouldn't use anything else for a GUI.  It'll also
easily run on other OS's.

I don't use IDE's though, so I can't recommend one.  Some
people I work with use Netbeans though.  There does seem
to be support available for Python in Netbeans:

  http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python

--
DE