On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:06:12 +0200
Robert Millan <r...@debian.org> wrote:

> 2011/7/12 Alexander Kabaev <kab...@gmail.com>:
> > Whatever happened to using a proper cross-tool to do the job?
>
> Why would one need to build a cross-compiler in order to compile
> userland-agnostic code for the same CPU architecture?  This would be
> like requiring a cross-compiler in order to build things like GRUB or
> SeaBIOS.
>
> > Why is this hack needed?
>
> The kernel tree expects flags like __linux__ or __FreeBSD__ to have a
> different meaning when compiling for kernel space.  Instead of "we're
> building code that will run on $foo", they mean "we're building $foo
> itself". This assumption is correct most of the time, but not always
> so.  My patch addresses some of the situations in which the assumption
> fails.
>
> --
> Robert Millan

The fact that Linux compiler with manually undefined and re-defined
platform macros can compile is a coincidence and is not guaranteed to
work and certainly is not a goal of FreeBSD project so this can be
broken at any moment. Relying on that is unwise, putting hacks into
FreeBSD sources to legitimize the practice is not the move I would
support as well. Traditionally, IMHO.

--
Alexander Kabaev