On 7/13/2011 10:58 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
On 7/13/11 9:37 AM, Brandon Falk wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:49 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:10:05 pm Brandon Falk wrote:
Hello,

My machine somehow fails to boot into FreeBSD (off the cd, since it
fails to boot, I can't install it in the first place). It goes through
and ends up stopping deadlock style. No printouts of errors (besides a
ppc problem, which is not fatal) and no crash/oops/panic. It just...
stops and locks up. I know my motherboards PCI system has failed, as
well as lan (getting a new one tomorrow), which is probably what is
causing the problem. The thing is that Windows 7 and Linux happen to
boot just fine on my machine, so although my system has a failing
motherboard and may cause errors, I still feel like it shouldn't be
causing this much of an issue on boot. I tried verbose logging and got
no more information anyways. It will be nearly impossible to diagnose
this error so I'm looking for tips on where to look.
How far does it get when it locks? Is it able to load /boot/loader off
of the CD ok? Is it getting into the kernel far enough to output stuff
to the
console? Is it getting into sysinstall and hanging at some sysinstall
screen?

Also, is this host on the network and able to PXE? It's a lot easier
to test
custom kernels if needed using PXE than CDs (no need to burn a new CD
each
time, etc.).

Since it's on a native box, I have no good way of copying the text, so
perhaps later I'll copy it by hand. /boot/loader launches just fine, and
it's outputting messages just fine, until it just halts. It does not hit
sysinstall. This box also does not have net as LAN is shot on the
motherboard (hence getting the new motherboard).

What is the last message it outputs before it hangs?

Hello,

Sorry, I've been busy with work and I can't be bothered with rebooting my machine right now. But, it seems I have duplicated a very similar issue under a VM. Under the 9.0-CURRENT-201105-amd64-bootonly.iso iso it 'locks' up during boot with yet again no error message or crash. This only seems to happen when 8 cores are allocated to the VM, everything is just fine and dandy with 4, 2, or 1 core(s). (Note, on my native box I was using the 8.2-RELEASE amd64 bootonly iso).

On the VM the last messages I get are:

SMB: AP CPU #x Launched!

x being a number inclusive and between 1-7, in a random order (obviously the cpus start at 'random' times).

I cannot duplicate this error on a successfully installed FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64 using the same hardware settings.

Hmm, I just thought perhaps it is a CD issue... I tried FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly on 8, 4, 2, and 1 cores, and it seems to work just fine... argh.

-Brandon