On 10/05/11 02:20, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
Does anyone actually use nscd?

Yes, particularly for caching LDAP data.

I ask because when I cleaned up a slew of aliasing bugs a couple of
years ago, I believe I may have introduced a bug; I got exactly two
complaints, and neither of the complainants could be bothered to try the
workaround I suggested and report back.

I haven't seen these bugs. There is a different bug we hit fairly regularly related to -ve caching. If the machine running nscd loses connectivity with the DNS server for a while and does a DNS lookup during that time, nscd will cache the -ve reply indefinitely for all users, which breaks all sorts of crap. Have to forcibly run "nscd -I all" to fix. I will find and fix this bug one day if noone beats me to it...

Although the code quality is atrocious, nscd is actually a pretty good
idea.  I suspect the reason why nobody uses it is that it's off by
default and people simply don't know about it.  Besides nuking it, which
would be a shame, we have a range of options, from "just fixing the bug
so those who want to use it can" in one end to "finding someone willing
to clean it up and maintain it and enable it by default" in the other.

I'd like to see it stay in base. Moving it (slowly) towards a point where we can turn it on by default would be cool.

Cheers,
Lawrence