On 1/17/12 9:36 AM, Damien Fleuriot wrote:

On 1/17/12 4:39 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
Why is everyone so afraid of running -STABLE? Plenty of stuff gets
MFC'd. Yeah, I agree -- running -RELEASE is difficult. Hell, it's
frustrating to us that VMWare only supports -RELEASE and it took until
ESX 5 to officially support 8.2!

More releases / snapshots of -STABLE helps people on physical servers,
but anyone who runs VMs on Xen or VMWare won't get any support for those
versions because they didn't go through the QA process yet. FreeBSD is
increasingly becoming a third world citizen thanks to virtualization
efforts being focused on Linux, so I feel that more frequent releases
won't help as many people as you think.

Running FBSD in a *production* environment means you want something
stable and tested.

-STABLE does not fulfill the requirements I'm afraid.

We've had to downgrade some boxes from 8.2-STABLE to -RELEASE here.

then you went the wrong way
and your process is flawed.

having run -stable on production systems, the way to do it is:

* follow -stable..
* pick a time that IN RETROSPECT (from 1 month later) looks as though it was good.
* take a snapshot from that time and test it.
* if it has problems MOVE FORWARD (not back) to the next candidate snapshot time.
* repeat until you have one that works for you