On 1/17/12 2:41 PM, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:57:19PM +0000 I heard the voice of
Hugo Silva, and lo! it spake thus:
Come to think about it, those days are pretty much gone since 4.x
(incidentally, many of us who've stuck with FreeBSD for this long
think of 4.x as an epic series).
Having been a FreeBSD user for a very long time, I don't think of 4.x
as epic.  I think of 5.x as a clusterf...un.  4.x didn't last such a
long time because everyone thought it was awesome, it was because the
next version was still so broken it was the only thing we had to
release.

5 was not out on a limb for so long because it was a clusterfun, it was
out there because it was a rework of how almost everything in the
kernel worked.  Everything written since 1978 had to be rewritten
to some extent.