On 2/14/12 3:51 PM, Jan Mikkelsen wrote:

Coming back to the multicore issue:

The problem when a core fails is that it has affected more than its own state.
It will be holding locks on shared resources and may have corrupted shared
memory or asked a device to do the wrong thing. By the time you detect a fault
in a core, it is too late. Checkpointing to main memory means that you need to
be able to roll back to a checkpoint, and replay operations you know about.
That involves more that CPU core state, that includes process file and device
state.

I think that/s more or less what I was saying but with more concrete examples. and yes I rememebr the tandem boxes from computer shows in Perth and Sydney, but never saw one in the field.