On 03/21/12 23:06, Matthias Apitz wrote:
Hello,

I've forwarded your question to a colleague who is an Ubuntu fan and he
replied, that the creation of a booting Ubuntu USB key is possile with
Ubuntu tools/methods only, i.e. booting the Ubuntu live CD and following the
ways to install it onto the key (and not on disk).

He wrote some years ago a small Wiki page about, it is in German but
maybe you can clue something from the commands there:

http://mikiwiki.org/wiki/Ubuntu_8.10_Intrepid_Ibex/Installation_2009.04.07_usbstick
I'll have to translate that, but I am trying to get a 'live' usb disk to demo on the clients cdrom less unit. I know the cd is live, I assumed I could get a live usb disk from that based on their instructions.

For a supposedly user friendly system, obtaining install media is not.. :/ Maybe a little too much debian in the system ;)